When we disassembled our jib furler, we found it had a few problems. Some easy to fix, others less so. The primary problem was that a small amount of water had gotten inside. Which corroded a bearing, which “spontaneously disassembled,” which jammed everything up.
We have ordered new bearings, and they will be here in a day or so. But we have two problems that I don’t have the tools or expertise to work out on my own. The water leaked in past a seal because the aluminum shaft had developed enough of a groove that the lip seal no longer, well, sealed. So we need to have a new piece made. I spent this morning today with the owner M Yachting based here at Jabin’s working out a solution. It’s expensive, but still a fraction of replacement would be.
We need to order some parts, machine them to fit, and then send them out to be anodized. Nothing complex or difficult, but… time will be taken. At least 2 weeks turnaround. While they have that project, they also need to get out the races from the failed bearing. Sooooo… we’ll be here until at least the middle of June getting all the bits back together.
Over all, I have to say over the last couple of months I have learned far more about the internal workings of this part of the boat that I really ever wanted to know!
In the spirit of making the best lemonade we can, we have started looking at projects to do in what would be otherwise idle time.