The part for our jib furler is out being anodized. Hopefully, it will be back early this week, and we can get the boat back together and get sailing again. Our plan continues to be running up to Nova Scotia, more or less directly, exploring there, and then working our way south again.
In other news… we did complete the install of the new timing belt on our main drive engine. It’s an easy job, actually, after you have done it once. My challenge was the very last step: Retiming the fuel injection pump. I set up the new dial gauge (every project needs at least one new tool, it’s a rule!) and saw that I needed to rotate the pump to get it back in spec. Try as I might, it would not turn. Knowing this was an expensive and precision part, I didn’t force it, but slept on the problem instead.
After an overnight brain soak, I thought I had the answer. A look online at a picture of the engine (from the side I could not see) showed me a nut–I could not see–that I had neglected to loosen. Once it was loose, the rest of the process went exactly according to plan. Engine all happy again!
We got out jib-head swivel repaired, and rebuilt, that went without a hitch, it’s ready to install once our furler motor is back together.
And lastly… we have a new internet project–one I’d love comments on. This blog has been a great format for our travels and keeping people who are interested in where we are, and what we do up to date, but there was a lot more I wanted to do around our fishing exploits. Both on the story telling side, and teaching what we have learned. If you’re interested (and remember, it IS a work in progress!) check out http://TheFishingSailor.com and please, let me know what you think!